Tokyo, Japan, June 4, 2016 - Canada vs. China is the first of the two most interesting matches on the last day of the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Olympic Qualification Tournament. Both teams need to win to stay in contention for the last remaining ticket to Rio. However, in the case of China, the victory needs to be claimed in fewer than five sets. In all cases, they will have to wait until Australia's last match to find out who will travel to the Olympics.
• China won the previous encounter with Canada at the World Olympic Qualification. In Tokyo in 2004, China defeated Canada in straight sets.
• These teams met at the 1984 Olympic Games when Canada won in straight sets.
• Their most recent encounter came at the 2014 World Championship when Canada won in straight sets.
• Canada, Australia and China will fight for the last ticket available at the Tokyo tournament for the Olympic Games.
• Canada have participated three times at the Olympic Games (1976, 1984 and 1992). Their best result came in 1984 when they finished in fourth place.
• Canada recorded their third victory at the 2016 World Olympic Qualification tournament in their last match against Japan (3-1).
• Only Antonin Rouzier (FRA, 113) and Thomas Edgar (AUS, 103) have scored more points at the 2016 World Olympic Qualification tournament in Tokyo than Gavin Schmitt (96).
• Gavin Schmitt (57.04 success rate) is the second-best spiker in the competition behind France's Antonin Rouzier (59.77%).
• China, Canada and Australia will fight for the last ticket available at the Tokyo tournament for the Olympic Games.
• China have been present at two Olympic Games - in 1984 (8th) and 2008 (5th).
• China lost their last three matches at the World Olympic Qualification tournament against Poland (3-2), Iran (3-2) and Australia (3-1), losing three in a row in this tournament for the first time this century.
• In total, China have won two and lost four matches at the tournament this year. At the 2012 World Olympic Qualification tournament they lost four of their seven matches and failed to qualify.
• Chen Zhang has scored most points for China this tournament (82).